Thursday, September 26, 2013

Learning Environment

Classroom organization makes me giddy like a schoolgirl!!



     Seriously though I turn into a complete obsessed middle schooler when I talk about my classroom layout! On Pinterest I already have a board dedicated to my classroom with numerous bulletin board and classroom decoration themes. I understand that it is important to not turn learning activities into "cute" projects. BUT the classroom decoration should be nothing less than "cute"!! I think this idea has largely been shaped by my resident assistant experience at the University of Tennessee. Through this experience my creativity was challenged. From it I now see bulletin boards and decorations in a new light.
  Now, the learning environment is a very serious key to a classroom. It is one thing that should be thoughtfully designed but I don't think that means it has to lose its "cute". In my classroom I want students to feel that they are in a safe and exciting environment. I want my students to fall in love with learning so my classroom must be a place that they love to visit! This means that yes I will spend too much money and time on silly decorations. Yet, I know it will pay off because I've seen how much more students enjoy their environment when there are decorations. I don't want this to be something that I push off and just throw together last minute! Instead I plan on spending my summer preparing and planning for my theme each year. I also want to separate the classroom into different sections. I've watched a few videos of different classroom set ups and I really enjoy those that have different "learning sections". Ideally I would like to separate my classroom into a lecture "work site", a reading corner, and the messy lab.
   The first section the "work site". In this section is where I would like to put the students desks. Having them near a whiteboard, chalkboard, or smartboard. This is where we will spend a lot of time working math problems or other lessons that need a heavy lecture instruction. Then I want a nice comfortable reading area with a small classroom library. Around the reading area I would like to hang the students most recent projects. This way if a student is to get distracted from their reading they will be looking at past projects and having to read the reports. This way even in their distractions they are still reading. I have a huge emphasis on reading and think that it is important to create an environment that matches that. Then I want an area for when we do messier projects, likely in science. This will hopefully have a big table that way each student isn't getting their desks dirty. This area can also be used for big group talks instead of always using the reading area.
    In my classroom I think it is important to use a lot of colors. I want to start a theme each semester and have the whole room decorated accordingly. For example if it was Dr. Seuss there would be characters throughout the room. Maybe Cat in the Hat reading a book near the reading corner, the lorax above the teachers desk holding up a paper, or thing 1 and thing 1 holding the rules of our classroom. Then I would also use colorful pom-poms hung near the ceiling to create a fun environment. Most importantly I want a lot of the decorations to be colorful quotes that are encouraging. This way when students are observing they are learning because they are being forced to read. I just don't think that classrooms have to be the typical boring white with store bought posters of pencils and erasers. I know I don't find that appealing when I walk into classrooms so why would children!

Case Study: 

Elementary Education Case Study
You engage your third grade students in cooperative learning activities at least twice a day, changing heterogeneous group members once every four weeks. You have agreed upon routine procedures that your classroom community uses within their small groups, including the roles and responsibilities of group members. Lately you have noticed that one small group always seems to have difficulty grasping material and completing their project in an acceptable manner.  You observe this group carefully and find that Lisa seems to be the catalyst for their problems.  She gets angry with others if she does not get the job she wants and refuses to do her part in contributing to the group’s learning.  She constantly interrupts others in her group.  She does not pay attention when her group prepares for class presentations. 

   Now this is a sticky situation. First, there is the problem of Lisa and her unwillingness to completely indulge in the material. I need to evaluate what her motivation for not wanting to contribute. Then there is the problem of her disrupting the other students and their risk of falling behind because of one students actions. At first glance I really wanted to pull Lisa apart from the group and talk to her individually but then I need to think about what this would do to the other students in her group. One one hand they would be able to complete their work but they would still be down one partner. 
    I would first assess Lisa. Since she is my student I will be familiar with what her learning techniques are and her motivation. From this I would want to device a way to get her motivated to participate in different roles rather than the one she is comfortable. I would also know if this problem is resulting from Lisa being afraid or unsure of her own capabilities or if it is just a method of apathy and not wanting to learn a new role. If it was the first than I think it would be easier to engage Lisa. I would pull her aside and ask her why she likes this specific role the most and if she is nervous about the other roles. If she admitted to being nervous about the other roles I would give her encouragement. Then I would want to model with her what these roles look like. This would mean participating with the group that day. Sitting specifically Lisa and helping her adapt. If it is the latter though their is a bigger problem. I think I would then approach it from the idea of showing Lisa that her friends need her help. Maybe if I oculd do a short "restorative justice" circle. Having the group together and each talk about how her monopolizing positions makes them feel and expressing what they would like to see from the whole team. This would hopefully show Lisa that her friends want to participate in all the activities but it makes it hard to them when she throws fits or isn't listening. Then this would also hopefully connect LIsa with her group and make her feel apart of it. This would then hopefully make her want to pay attention because she feels a sense of responsibility to the group. This would also create unity amongst the group and hopefully foster a little more friendship! 


2 comments:

  1. Abby, I think it's great that you're planning to have a bright and friendly classroom full of words for students to read! It sounds like a great collaborative space.

    I think your concerns over Lisa - removing her from the group to talk versus leaving the group without a member - are valid. I think that your intervention strategies of trying to work on groupwork and get to the bottom of what is bothering Lisa sound like they would be productive. I think as we progress through learning theories that you may find several that appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm for your classroom and I think it is great you are already thinking and planning ahead! I really liked how you said you want a classroom students "love to visit." I have never heard it described that way before, but it makes perfect sense. That is a great goal and I think it will really help you create a positive learning environment in your classroom. I also though it was a wonderful idea of how in the reading corner you have previous projects so even when students get distracted they are still reading. That is sneaky but so creative and it would get the job done of having them read!

    In the case study I think you did a good job of looking at the needs of both the group as a whole and of the individual students. I think setting up a restorative justice circle like you mentioned could really help solve the problem. That was also a great way to include what we have been learning in class! It sound like you have a well thought out plan of how to deal with Lisa and hopefully recreate a struggling group into a thriving one!

    ReplyDelete